The Magic of Apple Blossoms - Chapter 11-13

Chapter 11. 

Morgan woke up early. She wanted apples. That wasn’t weird, she was an apple alvie after all. She was born to want apples. It was in her blood and it had been for generations. She always wanted apples. But yet, this was different. She craved them so badly. She didn’t want to get up from the cozy bed where Hedda slept beside her. But she knew she couldn’t fall back asleep until she had some apples. She needed them! She put on one of those oversized sweaters Hedda liked so much and tried to sneak out of the room without waking her beautiful sleeping girlfriend. She got out to the small hallway on top of the stairs. The room to the empty room was slightly open. But it wasn’t empty anymore...

“Hedda!!!” Morgan didn’t care about her sleep anymore. 

Hedda woke up when Morgan shouted her name. It felt early. She wanted apples. Actually she wanted apples like she’s never wanted apples before. She got up quickly, looked for her favorite sweater. It wasn’t where she put it yesterday... Then she found it. On Morgan. Oh whatever. Where was her other sweaters. She wanted apples NOW! Finally she found one, put it on quickly and went past Morgan who stood in the doorway to their bedroom watching her. Hedda did not look in to the “empty” room. She went down the stairs and sat on one of the chairs around their table. She took one apple in each hand from the big apple bowl that was in the middle of the table. Quickly she took a bite from each apple. Finally. She needed that. She couldn’t remember if the bowl had been there yesterday. It was a bit too early to care. Morgan came down behind her and sat down beside her. Hedda handed her one of the apples she was holding and grabbed a new one for the now empty hand. They both ate their apples before they talked. 
“So you’re not even going to ask why I woke you up?”
“Oh right. I just needed apples so bad I couldn’t think!”
“Yeah I wanted them badly too when I woke up. That’s why I went up. To go down and get some. So I passed the empty room. It’s not empty anymore.”
“Oh. Is it a guest room now?”
“No. Why is there cribs in our house Hedda?”
“Why would there be cribs in our house?”
“Yeah I was wondering that too. Then I realized you never told me how alvie babies are actually made.”
“Oh that. Hm. It’s a bit complicated. But it takes years to make alvie babies. Like couples need a really strong bond and even though a lot of them have known eachother since they were kids it still takes them many years to actually have a baby. The youngest ones I knew who had a baby was my parents. They were 20. And they basically knew eachother since they were babies.” 
“Then why is there cribs upstairs?”
“Maybe someone with a baby is coming to visit?”
“It’s a full nursery.”
“Oh. Hm. Maybe the house is planning ahead. Maybe we’ll have one when we’re 20 too?”
“Do you really think so? Wouldn’t it make it then if that was the case?”
“I don’t know. I don’t know house growing magic. No one here does! Or well not like this!”
“When we needed a bathroom we got a bathroom.”
“So? Seems like a logical place to start to build a house.”
“Yeah but it has never made us something we didn’t need or want. We both thought it would make a guest bedroom because that felt logical since my parents was coming!”
“Yes. But...”
“What if one of us is pregnant? Could it have happened? I still don’t know what it takes except a strong bond.”
“You need apple stuff. Like an old tree, twigs, apples, blossoms...”
“We’ve had ALL of that! At the same time!”
“But one need a really strong bond...”
“Hedda, it rained. For like four days. Non stop. EVERYONE talked about it. I’m pretty sure we are bonded.”
“But it takes time...”
“Does it? Or is that a question about building a bond?”
“But a lot of people have trouble doing it on their own. They need help from the whole village. They usually bring them apples.”
“Does the couple then make applesauce from the apples.”
“Yeah... But people do that for almost all celebrations!”
“Yeah but it helps people have babies.”
“But we just got our magic! Alvies need a lot to make babies!”
“We grew a house. In our sleep.”
“BUT I’M SIXTEEN!”
”AND I’M SEVENTEEN!”
”I’m not ready to have a baby!”
”Me neither!”
“We just met!”
“Yeah. But we both know neither of us is leaving this.”
“Of course not!” They hugged eachother. 
“So how do you know if you’re pregnant? Do you have tests?” 
“We have magic!”
“But how do you actually know?”
“I don’t know. I always thought I would figure that out when I was married and actually planning for a baby.” 
“You don’t have any clue about what could be a sign?”
“I don’t know. I think pregnant people seem to be eating apples all the time. But everyone does that...” They both looked at the now empty bowl in front of them. 
“So what decides who gets pregnant?”
“Did you say ‘cribs’? As in more than one?”
“Yeah there’s two...”

They both stood in the doorway to the no longer empty room. Neither of them were ready to call it a nursery. 
“It’s really pretty.” Hedda put her arm around Morgan. 
“Yeah. It’s exactly how I woul want it.” Morgan leaned her head on Hedda’s shoulder. 
It was pretty. The cribs were made in the same style as their own bed. Decorated with carvings of apples and blossoms. Above each crib hung blooming branches. There was two rocking chairs beside eachother and there was even some toys and other things that would be handy. If they were actually having babies.

Chapter 12.
“So would a pregnancy test work?” It was still early and they had filled a basket with apples and brought it up to bed. 
“I don’t know.” Hedda took yet another apple from the basket they had placed inbetween them. “I’m sure someone has tried but i haven’t really paid that much attention to the baby stuff. As far as I know it’s just the conception that’s different for alvies so I guess they’d work. I don’t think there’s any at our store though.”
“And our car is now our house.”
“And you’re not supposed to drive because you’re not 18 yet.”
“Yeah I keep forgetting that. Such weird law.”
“Maybe we can ask mom to take us...”
“Maybe we should. I kinda feel that I need to know for sure. I mean I like magic and all but this is such a big deal!”
“Yeah...”

It was between morning and noon when they went down to the house. They hadn’t exactly gotten used to the idea yet but they were no longer freaking out about it and they felt sure it would all work out however it would turn out. Edith was in the kitchen with Greta, Hedda’s five year old sister. 
“Where are the others?“
“Ingrid took Morgan’s moms to show them the garden and bring some food home for lunch.”
“Could you take us to the store in town?”
“Can you wait for Ingrid? You know what she thinks about me driving...”
“Yeah I know but we kinda need some things right now.”
“Are you going to tell me what?”
“Just some stuff that’s not available in the store here.” 
“Right. You do know that I can tell when you’re not telling me something?”
“Yup.”
“Very well then. I assume you have your reasons. Come on Greta. Let’s go to town for a bit.”
“Are you driving?” Greta looked at her a bit skeptical. 
“Yes. I can drive too.” Edith took Gretas hand and got the car keys from the hook by the door. Hedda and Morgan followed. 
“You know I can drive if needed. Like you could pretend to be teaching me...”
“Good backup plan Morgan!” Edith didn’t even turn around. She was clearly set on driving. But she did sound like Morgan’s idea wasn’t bad. 
Hedda sat in the front with Edith and tried to get her to focus on the driving. Morgan sat in the back beside Greta. Those two had already formed a good connection and had become buddies. Greta adored Morgan and was fascinated by her smooth long black hair. Morgan thought Greta was the cutest little mini Hedda and liked to play with her. 
Town wasn’t very far and they got there fairly quickly. 
“You can wait in the car. We’ll get you icecream!”
“Only one of us is five. You don’t have to bribe me.”
“No. But you do like icecream.”
“Good point.” Edith and Greta stayed in the car. 
They found the tests easily enough. They bought a few more than strictly needed. Everyone got an icecream and they didn’t talk much on the way back. Hedda and Morgan thanked Edith for the ride and walked through the garden when they got back. Their own house wasn’t far at all. If they hadn’t been occupied by the thoughts of babies they might have thought that their house was less far away than it had been before. But they didn’t notice for pretty understandable reasons.

They sat down by the kitchen table and grabbed a box each from the bag from the store. They kinda just looked at them. 
“Why didn’t our house provide things like this when it has provided things like a fireplace and a dishwasher?” Morgan was still studying the unopened box she was holding. 
“Maybe we can only grow things we know? Like maybe we need to understand I how things work before we can grow them.”
“I don’t know how a dishwasher works...”
“Well you kinda do. You put the dishes in the racks and when you turn the dishwasher on the water goes swoosh swoosh from those spinny things”
“The spinny things” Morgan smiled at her. “But I still don’t know how it actually works with all the wires and stuff.”
“Yeah but maybe we don’t need to know exactly everything. If we know the basics maybe it’s enough. Or if it’s something we’ve touched a lot of time. I mean I’ve certainly filled a dishwasher before.” 
“Hm. Yeah that kinda makes sense.”
“And I have certainly not ever held a pregnancy test before. I have just seen them on TV. And I definitely don’t know how they work.”
“Me neither. Let’s read the instructions.” They did. 
They decided to go to a bathroom each and then meet back at the kitchen table. It didn’t take long until they were both back. And then they had some results. They repeated the procedure to be sure. But there was not really any doubt about it. Pregnancy tests definitely worked on alvies. They had four positive pregnancy tests. They would indeed need both the cribs.  

Chapter 13. 
There's magic in all Alvies. In the babies as well as in the elderly. It isn't as strong in babies and in the elderly it has taken another shape. But it's there in every single one. A lot of things can be done to strengthen it. Like wearing a necklace with wood from a tree you're part of or having the blossoms in your hair. But magic will never be as strong when you're alone. Bonds matter. Your magic will be the strongest when you're with your partner. But other things affect it too. Family bonds are one. Especially with your parents or children. But siblings are great too. And people from the same village. Friends you have grown up with. Even alvies you've never met before will strengthen your magic when you're with them. If they're from the same type of tree it's a bit stronger than if it's another type of tree. Like an apple alvie will be stronger with another apple alvie. But a cherry alvie will help too. And even an orange alvie will help even though not nearly as much as their trees doesn't grow in the same places. Unless you are from a place we're both have grown for generations. That would make a difference too. The point is, bonds matter. Bonds can make things happen. No one really considered that though. No one predicted what would happen. 

Hedda and Morgan went down to the house for lunch. It had just been a few hours since Edith had taken them to the store and even if she had known something was going on she hadn't known what or thought it was her time to know. Hedda and Morgan were holding hands as they walked in through the back door. Holding hands was a very natural thing to do to them. To most alvies. It was a great way to be connected and in tune to eachother. The dinner was done and the parents had mostly just waited for Hedda and Morgan. Hedda's sisters were around but none of them happened to be in the kitchen as Hedda and Morgan walked in. Holding hands. Ingrid and Edith were also holding hands. And so were Destiny and Rose. Nothing of what happened was planned. It just kinda happened that way. Both the pairs of mothers came to them to greet them. And they just happen to all make a chain at the same time. Edith connected to Ingrid who connected to Hedda. Destiny connected to Rose that connected to Morgan. And Morgan and Hedda connected not only by their hands and their magic but also the tiny lives growing inside them. It was a chain of not just 6 people. But 8. Two families connected by the new growing generation of alvies. Nothing really happened. At the same time as everything happened. Hedda and Morgan weren’t sure of when or how to tell their parents that they were going to have babies while still under 18. They had thought that maybe they should wait a few days. Get used to the idea. Write down what to say. But that's not what happened. When they all connected they could all feel the connection. All the way through the chain. And how it had connected extra strong with the creation of the new generation. Hedda and Morgan's mothers had felt the presence of the tiny new alvies growing inside. They had connected with their grandchildren for the very first time. And they already loved them so much. So excited for their future arrival. They all hugged. They were all family now. Even if Hedda's moms had welcomed Morgan and her family with open arms they hadn't felt the family bond this strong before. 
"Can I hug too?" The tiny voice behind them was Greta's. And of course she could have hugs. All the hugs and kisses she wanted. 

None of Hedda's sisters were told what had happened. The time for that wasn't there yet. They could all feel the difference though. But no one questioned it.

Chapter 14.

A few days later Hedda and Morgan went to the big house and found Vera and a girl Morgan had never met in the kitchen. She wasn’t blonde as a lot of people were in the village. Her hair was light brown. But Morgan didn’t think that was what made her feel different. It was something she couldn’t quite put her finger on. 

“Morgan, this is Maya.” Hedda hugged the girl almost at the same time as she introduced her to Morgan. “She and Vera are getting married at the harvest party.” The yearly harvest party were to take place in a few weeks. Morgan reached out her hand and Maya took it. 

“Hi. It’s nice to finally meet you. I think you’re wondering about why my energy feels different?” Morgan just nodded. “Well I am an alvie. But I’m not an apple alvie. I’m a cherry alvie. We don’t have the same energy as you do. I know you’re still new to this alvie thing and I get that it’s a lot to take in so I’m not going to explain all details. But we’re part of the same family and you’re always welcome to ask me anything. Even though I think Hedda can explain it to you too.”

“Thanks.” Morgan didn’t quite know what to say. Hedda hadn’t told her there were other kinds of alvies. 

“Thanks Maya. That’s very kind of you!” Hedda gave her another hug. 

“I’m really glad you’ve had a chance to meet eachother.” Vera had packed her things up. “But we really have to go now. We don’t want to be late. We have some wedding stuff to take care of.” They both left. Morgan watched them as they left and then turned to Hedda. 

“There’s cherry alvies?”

“Yeah. Basically all fruit trees have alvies. Let’s go home and I’ll explain.” But she went to the fridge first and dug out a few cointainers of leftovers that she handed to Morgan. She found a bottle of milk and closed the fridge and turned around to find Morgan watching her. “What? I’m eating for two here. And so are you. We haven’t had breakfast yet!” Morgan smiled at her. She did indeed love this girl. 


Back at home they sat down by their table and started to eat. 

“You didn’t tell me about Maya. Or cherry alvies.”

“There’s a lot I haven’t told you. It’s kinda a hard balance. I want you to know everything but I don’t want to overwhelm you. And I kinda don’t want to be your teacher either. I think that would unbalance us. There’s so much about alvies I’ve spent 16 years learning. And there’s also a lot I don’t know myself yet. And I don’t know where to start. I don’t know what the next thing you’ll find out is. And if I had known Maya would be here today I would definitely have prepared you!”

Morgan could understand the dilemma. She didn’t disagree as such. 

“I get you. Plus it’s been a lot of other things happening. Like growing houses and babies. And my moms being here and showing them stuff too.”

“I think my moms are taking care of all your moms questions.”

“Yeah probably. They seem to get along well. I’m glad that’s working.”

“Me too!”

“So. What other fruit alvies are around here?”

“Oh right. Well mostly apples in this area. There’s a fairly big pear village about an hour away. There’s some cherries around and then there’s the plums.”

“And in the rest of the world?”

“I know about like orange and lemon ones. And mango. I’ve also heard about Kiwi ones. I’m sure there’s a lot I haven’t heard about too.”

“Is there anyone living in the village?”

“No just apple alvies at the moment. There’s been other fruit alvies now and then but they tend to feel a bit outnumbered I think. Not that they’re not welcome. But yeah. People tend to stick to their own a bit. I’ve heard there’s a mixed village a few hours away though. It seems to be working for them!”

“So people don’t usually bond with alvies from other trees?”

“No. Not very often. I think it happens a bit more between trees that’s more similar. Like there’s different kinds of apples and that doesn’t seem to matter. And I’m pretty sure it’s more common that apples and pears bond. And I think there can be a lot more bonding between different citrus trees. But apples and cherries aren’t very common.”

“So how did Vera and Maya meet?” 

“It was quite a while ago. I was five so I don’t really remember a time when Maya wasn’t in Veras life. But as far as I know Maya came here with her family for spring festival and they both had their trees blossoms in their hair and just met and played together. Our moms made sure they could see eachother often so their bond would still grow strong. But they will always have a weaker bond because of their different trees. That doesn’t mean it’s weak though. It will always be stronger than most relationships that’s not alvie ones. They have talked about living in town. With regular people. I think it would suit them. Maybe they’ll move here when they’re older.”

“What about your other sisters. Have they bonded with someone?”

“Well you’ve met Solveig...” Morgan had. Several times. First time she had seen Greta she had walked hand in hand with this other girl that was just the same size as her. Seemed like she usually saw them together. Like playing in the garden or helping with whatever work their moms were doing. 

“Oh. I didn’t realize they were more than just friends. Seems kinda obvious now. But they’re just five!”

“Well that’s how it works here. People sometimes bond as children. Not romantically but as friends. They grow up together and they grow up with eachother. It’s not uncommon but it doesn’t happen to everyone. My moms met as children too.”

“Ah. Yeah. Mine too I guess.”

“Though very few bond as early as Greta and Solveig...”

“Yeah five seems very young.”

“Oh they didn’t bond when they were five. They bonded before they were even born. Their moms seemed to be drawn to eachother and kinda wanted to work together all the time. And then the babies were born the same day and wouldn’t be satisfied until they could sleep next to eachother.”

“How did they work that out long term?”

“Solveigs moms stayed in our guest room for a while and they kinda took turn with the babies. Then they got to the point where they didn’t have to be together all the time and she and her parents could move home again. But they still spend most of their awake time together and they have a lot of sleepovers.”

“So the bond isn’t always as strong?” 

“I think it’s more that it changes it’s form. When it’s new you kinda feel like you always need to be close and preferably touching. But after a while you kinda connect magically instead. Like you know what the other is doing even when you’re not literally touching them at the moment.” 

“I guess we’re not there yet...” Morgan looked down at their hands. They sat on opposite sides of the table and they were both eating the food. But the also held hands. And under the table their legs were intertwined. 

“Yeah. No. I have a feeling that might take a while.” Hedda smiled at Morgan. And took an apple from the bowl. 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar